Permit and Licensing

Lodging, Campgrounds, Manufactured Homes

The Taylor County Health Department is an Agent to the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP). As an agent to DATCP, we manage the licensing and inspection program of all retail food, lodging and recreation facilities in Taylor County. Additional information for each type of facility can be found below. If you are starting a new business or adding a service to your current business (for example selling food), inspections are required.

To apply for a new license:

  1. Download the relevant forms i.e. application, plan review (see links below)
  2. Fill them out completely.
  3. Send forms via:
    1. Mail – Taylor County Health Department, 224 S 2nd Street, Medford, WI 54451
    2. Email –
  4. Complete the payment you can mail a check or pay online [ Here ]
  5. Call 715-748-1410 to schedule a pre-inspection.

​Lodging Facilities

Tourist rooming houses (TRHs):

Usually called short term rental cabins and allow guests to stay for a limited number of days throughout the year.

The application for Tourist Room Houses Licensing can be downloaded [here

Bed and Breakfast:

Any place of lodging that provides 8 or fewer rooms for rent to no more than a total of 20 tourists or other transients for more than 10 nights in a 12-month period, is the owner’s personal residence, is occupied by the owner at time of rental, and in which the only meal served to guests is breakfast.”

The application for Bed and Breakfast Licensing can be downloaded [here


Defined as “a place where sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to transients, in 5 or more rooms, and all related rooms, buildings and areas.”

The application for Hotel Licensing can be downloaded [here


Defined as any parcel or tract of land, owned by a person, the state, or a local government, which is used for the purpose of providing campsites for:

  • Non-permanent overnight use by four or more campsites or
  • Non-permanent overnight use by one to three campsites​ if the parcel or tract of land is represented as a campground.

If any campground changes occur that meet any of the following, a plan review is required:

  • New construction of a campground
  • An increase in the number or type of campsites, or any changes to a facility that provides accommodations to the campground users, including a camping unit provided by the campgrounds or changes to shared restroom facilities.

The campground plan review form can be downloaded [ here ].

Special Event Campgrounds:

These short-term campgrounds are for special events.

The Special event campground Application can be downloaded [ here ].

Manufactured Home Communities:

(Per are any plot or plots of ground upon which 3 or more manufactured home units, occupied for dwelling or sleeping purposes, are located, regardless of whether or not a charge is made for such accommodation.

The application for Manufactured Home Communities can be downloaded [ here ].